Over the past years, the increased incidence of prostate cancer in men has brought remarkable changes in the diagnosis and treatment options for prostate cancer. After the diagnosis of prostate cancer in Kansas City, one should be very careful in choosing the best treatment plan and weigh the benefits of each treatment option against the possible risks and side effects.
Prostate Cancer Treatments
The most common prostate cancer treatments in Kansas City are,
– Active surveillance
– Radiation therapy
– Hormone therapy
– Vaccine treatment
– Bone-directed treatment
Generally, these treatment options are used one at a time, but based on the complexity of the issue they can be combined for better results.
How to Make Informed Decisions?
Before choosing a treatment option for prostate cancer, one should take into account the goals and possible side effects of the disease. So, consider the following factors to make a more informed decision.
– The grade and stage of your prostate cancer
– Age and expected life span
– Health condition
– Effectiveness of the treatment
– Possible side effects of the treatment
Questions to Ask Your Healthcare Team
Having open and honest discussions with your healthcare team helps you to make clear decisions on choosing prostate cancer treatment.
– What are the benefits of considering active surveillance as a treatment option?
– Should I consider radical prostatectomy or radiation therapy?
– Which of the radiation therapy treatment works best for me?
– What treatments other than active surveillance or radiation therapy might be right for me?
– Do I face any problems with incontinence or impotence after the treatment?
– Will there be any side-effects from the treatment options I am considering?
– How long will the treatment last and how should I get prepared for it?
– Are there any possibilities that my treatment option affects my daily activities?
– Are there any chances that my cancer will come back with the treatment plans we have discussed?
How to Get Through the Treatment?
In addition to your cancer care team, considering hospital or clinic-based support services is an important part of your care since prostate cancer can impact your lifestyle, relationships, work and finances. These services include,
– Nursing or social work services
– Financial aid
– Nutritional advice
– Rehab services
– Spiritual help and more.
Continue doing activities you enjoy and talk to people who really understand what you are going through. Practice relaxation and ask your family, friends and service providers to help you have regular breaks throughout the prostate cancer treatment in Kansas City.
Join in programs and services crafted by American Cancer Society to manage their lives through treatment and recovery, and find the emotional support they need.